The 7,000 acres of pristine wilderness at Island Lake provides countless hiking opportunities.
Whether you are interested in a 30-minute walk or a full day hike, Island Lake has what you need. We have the best maintained and most diverse hiking trails in the valley. Want to learn about flora and fauna? Guided interpretive hikes are available.
Our hiking guides can take you on a short half day interpretive walk or an all day adventure. A guided hike is a great way to discover places you may not experience on your own and learn about the local flora and fauna.
2016 Guided Hikes: Call lodge for start times/to book.
- Sunday July 17th, August 7th & September 11th: - MOUNTAIN LAKES/HEIKO'S TRAIL
22km, elevation gain 4500 m
Rating: Very Difficult
Start at 8am, Meet at the Trailhead at Hartley Lake Road, or at Tamarack Lodge at Island Lake Lodge for pre-booked shuttles
The trail starts 2 km down a cart track, 3 km north west of Hartley Lake on the Hartley Creek Road, with a rewarding finish at Island Lake Lodge. Highlights: Waterfalls, caves, snowfields, big mountain passes, and the option of making it an overnight trip. A high level of fitness and route finding skills are required and hiring a professional guide is strongly recommended.
2016 Guided Hiking Rates for scheduled hikes or private bookings:
- Half Day Interpretive Hike – $20 per person (Minimum 2 people)
- Full Day Hike – $99 per person (Minimum 2 people) – ACMG certified hiking guide.
- Call for pricing for off-property hikes including Heiko's Moutain Lakes Trail.
2016 Guided Hiking Schedule Call lodge for to book, all hikes are classified as full day hikes except Tamarack Viewpoint/Lake Trail:
- Sunday June 19th - Father's Day Family Hike
- Sunday July 3rd - Big White Peak
- Sunday July 17th - Mountain Lakes/Heiko's Trail
- Sunday July 31st - Tamarack Viewpoint Kids Hike
- Sunday August 7th - Mountain Lakes/Heiko's Trail
- Sunday August 21st - Lizard Lake Cabin Bowl Loop
- Monday August 29th - Big White Peak
- Sunday September 11th - Mountain Lakes/Heiko's Trail
Make sure to schedule time to enjoy lunch or dinner at the lodge, relax in the Spa or stay for a night and enjoy the most beautiful B&B experience in Fernie.