Looking to improve your skills, increase your confidence, and spend time with like-minded women? Trek returns to Fernie with the famous Dirt Series!
“Fernie offers something for everyone into mountain biking – cross-country through downhill, beginner to advanced. Local terrain includes classic singletrack, roots, rocks, logs and bridges plus man-made berms and table tops.”
The Dirt Series is among the most established and highly regarded mountain bike instruction programs in the world.
Starting in 2000 with three camps and the goal of getting more women excited about the sport, Trek now partners with leading industry sponsors, and grown to the offering over 20 camps annually throughout Western Canada and the US with a constant emphasis on making each and every day better than the last. Completely dedicated coaches, professional programming, and an incredibly supportive community make the program what it is today. Over half of the participants are referred by someone they know. For those picking up mountain biking as a new outdoor sport to those breaking through barriers after years of experience, the Dirt Series blends these key ingredients into a legacy of fun, support, energy and success.
- Practice on-bike technical skills in the mornings, and put those skills into action on rides in the afternoons.
- Saturday evenings feature bike maintenance clinics, bike fit opportunities, drinks, snacks, and social time.
- For both morning sessions and the afternoon rides, camps are divided into groups according to experience, interests, and skill level.
- Camp participants range from those with only a few days on gravel trails to those with years of experience and a desire for steeper technical lines and smoother fancier air.
- Trek brings heaps of structures, stunts, and teaching aids to camps, providing a level of challenge that's just right for each participant.
- You will be challenged whether you already spend every free minute on your bike, yet comfortable if you are newer to the sport.
- Coach to participant ratio is at least 1:6, so every rider receives individual attention.
- Camp includes a group photo, draw prizes, and the exchange of participant contact information.
What to bring:
Some of the things you'll want to pack for your Dirt Series camp are not too different from those you'd want to bring on a regular weekend riding trip. Others are more specific to spending two full days learning new technical skills. Here are our suggestions:
- Your bike! Check here if you're interested in demo options.
- Cycling gear for all potential weather, including rain.
- Helmet and riding gloves. Regular cross-country / all-mountain helmet for pedal oriented skills and rides. If you're eager to work on downhill skills (steep descents, drops, jumps), particularly at camps with bike park lift access, it's a good idea to bring a full-face helmet, or to arrange to demo or rent one on site.
- Hydration pack or bottles so that you have lots of water during the day. Please fill these up before you arrive.
- Luna energy bars are provided but if you'd prefer to have additional snacks, please bring them with you. Lunch is provided around 1PM each day, so that makes for fairly long mornings.
- Sunscreen! Mosquito repellent is also handy to have in your pack but not usually needed in Fernie.
- An extra set of clothes on Saturday so that you can change into them after riding before the evening in-shop session.
- Have your bike checked over by a mechanic before you come to camp, so that you can be sure that it's in great working order. Check with The Guide's Hut about service options for when you arrive in Fernie.
- Spare tube in case you get a flat tire, and basic riding tools if you have them. The coaches also all have supplies, and The Guide's Hut offer great deals if you want to purchase your own during camp.
- Leg and arm pads if you have them, or borrow them from a friend if possible. If not, we'll have a limited supply of Race Face protection available for demo, and The Guides Hut has bike protection available for sale.
- Pedals & Shoes:
- Flat pedals if you have them, as they make it easier for any level of rider to learn and practice new skills. If you're married to your clipless pedals, you can always try the morning sessions on flats and then switch back for your afternoon ride. There will be a limited supply of crankbrothers flat pedals to demo at camp as well.
- Bring shoes that are compatible with the pedals you'll be using. If you are using clipless pedals, even if they have wide platforms, you must use shoes with cleats. If you are using flat pedals, you must use soft soled flat shoes without cleats; skate shoes and tennis shoes, without high arches and without deep ridges, work the best. There will be a limited selection of Five Ten flat shoes available to demo as well.
- If you're planning to try out two different kinds of pedals at the camp, you will have to bring two kinds of shoes. If it sounds like we're being especially firm with this last point, it's because so many participants have done otherwise and run into problems. We want you to have an amazing weekend, so please follow the advice above.
Two-day camp: $385 + GST
To find out more and register, visit www.dirtseries.com.
Fernie Bike Guides and sister company, The Guide’s Hut, are proud to be the local camp hosts.
Fernie Bike Guides is a great way to experience our spectacular trails. A local mountain bike service, we offer guided rides, private coaching and instruction, custom bike holidays plus weekend workshops. We'll get you confidently flowing up and down Fernie's famous single track!
OTHER CAMPS THIS SUMMER WITH FERNIE BIKE GUIDES:
For more info on any of the camps or to register, call 1-888-843-4885 or 250-423-3650 or use the email contact form (top right).
Through our sister company, The Guide's Hut, we can set you up with high-performance demos from Trek, DeVinci and Salsa. This is a great option if you are flying; you don't have to travel with your bike.
"Get Into It" Weekend
- Saturday, June 24 + Sunday, June 25
- 9 am – 1pm
- $275 per person
- Want to introduce flow and fun into your experience of riding single track? Let us give you the skills you need to ride with style. Two half-days will give you the opportunity to improve and increase your confidence in a friendly environment with like-minded women.
- Saturday, July 15
- 9 am – 1 pm
- $160 per person
- Designed to progress your skills and increase your confidence.
Wapiti Wheelers Intermediate Camp
- Saturday, August 12
- 9 am – 1 pm
- $160 per person
- Ride in the morning, attend Wapiti Music Festival in the afternoon. Designed to progress your skills and increase your confidence.
Kid's Mountain Bike Camp
- Let us organize a camp for your group of kids. We offer instruction for beginners ages 8 to 12. This is a fun way to learn balancing, cornering, climbing, descending, braking and trail etiquette from experienced coaches. Participants need a bike with suspension (front or full), hand brakes and multiple gears. They must arrive with a helmet. We recommend knee and elbow pads, riding gloves, flat pedals and shoes with a flat rubber sole, like a skate shoe or FiveTen.
PLAY AND LEARN
GUIDED RIDES + PRIVATE COACHING
Fernie has trails for every level of rider. We’ll pick the best ones for you, your family and friends. Trust us to bring a smile to your face! Guiding services are $30/hour plus $10 for each additional person. Call us now at 250-423-3650 to book one of our local guides.
Or, work with an experienced instructor. Fernie Bike Guides offers tailored skill-building and coaching for both one-on-one and for groups. Book in half-day (3 hour) increments by calling 250-423-3650.
BIKE HOLIDAYS - CUSTOMIZED TO FIT
Get excited about your own unique bike holiday. Let us plan your date with Fernie’s trails; our knowledge of the terrain is second to none. Plus our love of riding is infectious! As you explore we’ll provide tips and tricks, ways to improve your skills and confidence. Email email@example.com to find out more about how we can help you have a Fernie mountain bike adventure.