The perfect 2 day getaway for mother-daughter duos, stagettes, girls trips, couples, or guys who just want to get away from it all! Enjoy a relaxing and invigorating few days in Fernie with your favourite people this summer.
Day 1: A day of Inspiration and Relaxation
- Take a morning hike on one of Fernie's beautiful trails. Fairy Creek Falls is a gentle 1.5 hr round trip, or Castle Mountain is a moderate 4-5 hour hike offering spectacular views.
A range of hiking options are available at Island Lake Lodge, including the picturesque Lizard Lake Trail or popular Spineback Trail (both approx 3 hours return).
- In the afternoon, go urban with the cool, contemporary interiors at Spa901. Enjoy the full range of esthetics and body treatments including scrubs & massage, manicures, pedicures, facials and cosmetics. Three relaxation lounges provide plenty of space to curl up with a book, or try the infra-red saunas and the outdoor hot pool - spacious and inviting with plenty of powerful massaging water jets.
Or, if you started your day with a hike at Island Lake, venture into the Summer Spa at the Lodge - a full service facility with outdoor loungers and hot tub, plenty of treatment rooms including one with a deep Japanese soaking tub, plus luxurious Yon-Ka products.
- Lunch & Dinner: Island Lake Lodge offers casual patio dining for lunch and the inviting Ancient Timbers dining room for dinner, both with spectacular views of the Lizard Range and a 'farm-to-fork' food philosophy offering fresh, local, modern Canadian dining.
In town enjoy riverside dining at Bridge Bistro where you'll find a a great menu including rotisserie heritage chicken, housemade crabcakes and daily specials, or spice things up at Tandoor Restaurant and Grill with delicious, authentic Indian Cuisine.
Day 2: The River Wild or The River Mild
- If you're looking for adventure, take a full-day whitewater rafting trip on the lower Elk River Canyon with Mountain High Adventures or Canyon Raft Company. The tour includes transportation to the river, all gear, and experienced, qualified guides who just love to show off their favourite place the Elk Valley- the spectacular Elk River. The canyon, which runs from from the dam at nearby Elko down to Lake Koocanusa offers a thrilling ride including wild grade II - IV rapids, plus gentler stretches where a quick swim is possible. Scenery includes forested hillsides where you may spot Elk or Mountain Goats and spectacular towering canyon walls. Watch for eagles soaring overhead and old bridge buttresses along the riverbanks. Each company has their own camp kitchen where they will prepare a delicious filling lunch. Tours are suitable for anyone aged 7+ who loves a little excitement, and can manage the short steep hike into the river canyon- non swimmers are welcome, and paddling is optional.
- If you prefer a gentler day, rent a townie bike from one of the bike stores in Historic Downtown Fernie and explore the beautiful riverside trail system in the morning.
In the afternoon, take a relaxing float trip or stand-up paddleboard tour on the gentler stretches of the Elk River as it flows through town. Watch for blue herons as they soar overhead or spot beavers building dams on the riverbanks and wave to anglers catching bull trout as you float past.
- Lunch: Lunch is included on full-day whitewater rafting trips, or if you choose the milder bike/float option, explore Historic Downtown Fernie for lunch and choose from the many great lunch spots.
- Dinner: Historical locations and creative cuisine; try Nevados for South American cuisine, a funky lounge atmosphere, specialty tequila & mescal bar and leafy patio & herb garden in the former 'Photoplays' theatre, or casual and lively at The Brickhouse, in the former Imperial Bank built in 1909, with the infamous blues burger, flatbread pear & blue cheese pizza, Fernie Brewing Company on tap and great BC wines, plus popular jam nights on Thursdays.
Bonus feature: Ready to pack in some extra fun? Add a pre-dinner yoga session at Essential Yoga Studio for an invigorating workout to connect mind, body and soul, or take a cooking class at Infinitea T-bar & Boutique for a fun, interactive evening with friends and family or just enjoy regular live music on Fridays from 8pm.
Accommodation: There's so much to choose from in Fernie! Visit our Accommodation pages to find the perfect spot for you and your budget, including everything from hostels, motels and B&Bs to luxury & family-friendly hotels, expansive condos and spectacular mountain homes located in town, on mountain and inbetween!