The perfect balance of adventure and culture!
Day 1: Have a Summer Adventure at Fernie Alpine Resort; open late June till Labour Day Weekend
- Get your weekend started with a day of thrills at Fernie's multi-activity resort destination! The whole family will love the choice of amazing adventures at Fernie Alpine Resort:
- Spend a day Mountain Biking: Fernie Alpine Resort bike trails offer something for everyone with plenty of sweeping berms, bridges, features and stunts for thrill seekers. Wide, flowing, machine-made trails for beginner/intermediate riders and challenging steep and technical single track trails for advanced/expert riders. Lift access daily on the Elk Chair and weekends on the Timber Chair. Rentals are available, or bring your own gear. Take a lesson or sign up for a specialty camp to perfect your skills!
- Hit the treetops at the Aerial Park: There's hours of fun and challenges on the high ropes and obstacles including the rickety bridge, shrinking islands, snowboard slide and leap of faith. 3 mini ziplines add the element of speed and there's plenty of options to stick to the easier obstacles or try something more challenging. Tours begin every few hours throughout the day and you can set your own pace after the initial instruction. Minimum height/weight restrictions apply. There's even a fun free section available for little kids and a giant zipline add-on option.
- Take a spectacular guided ridge hike to Polar Peak: The Timber Chair runs every weekend and on holidays for a thrilling ride to the start of the spectacular ridge walk. Traverse Elephant Head to the destination of Polar Peak at 7010'. 360º views of the spectacular Rocky Mountains will take your breath away. Unique local flora, fauna and fossils make this a fascinating full day hike for all ages. Ride & hike at your leisure or book a guide with guest services for an informative and fun day out.
- Lunch: During the week, Kelsey's sunsoaked patio is perfect for the whole family. On weekends grab a bite on the go at the mountaintop Lost Boys Cafe, conveniently located at the top of the Timber Express Quad. Fully licensed with hot & cold options, this is your refueling station and offers fantastic views from the sunny wraparound deck overlooking the top of the Timber Bowl area. Open from Thursday-Sunday during the summer, Rusty Edge is another great hill-side option for lunch or dinner.
- Dinner: Enjoy casual dining at Lizard Creek Lodge in the newly renovated great room.
Day 2: Explore Historic Downtown Fernie
- Absorb the history and culture of historic downtown Fernie on a self-guided voyage of discovery:
- Start at the Fernie Museum for an in-depth look at the town's fascinating history spanning from the time of the early prospectors to present day peace and prosperity; exploring the impact of fires, war, legends, prohibition, mining, tourism and much more over the course of 130 years. Make sure to visit the special exhibit on the 2nd floor. Guided historical tours are available on weekends or pick up a copy of the heritage walking tour guide book and take a self-guided stroll.
- Explore the beautiful buildings of Historic Downtown Fernie:
- Discover Fernie's thriving Arts & Culture Scene & browse boutique shopping including an incredible selection of local pottery, photography, fine art & textile studios and a spectacular display of local artwork at The Fernie Arts Co-op plus:
- Be entertained! In July & August, take in the Wednesday Outdoor Concert Series & beverage gardens at The Arts Station, or on Sundays visit Rotary Park for the Mountain Market from 10am-2pm and then head downtown for the Summer Social Series on select weekends. Check the events calendar for details.
- Lunch: Relax on a downtown patio and watch the world go by at Mugshots Cafe, Infinitea T-bar, Loaf Bakery, Lunchbox or Big Bang Bagels.
- Dinner: Historical locations and creative cuisine; try Nevados for South American cuisine and a funky lounge atmosphere in the former 'Photoplays' theatre, or casual and lively theme at The Brickhouse, the former Imperial Bank built in 1909.
Bonus feature: Ready to pack in some extra fun? Take a float trip or paddleboarding trip on the beautiful Elk River with Canyon Raft Company or Mountain High Adventures. Float through town with an experienced guide and enjoy the scenery and wildlife!
Accommodation: There's so much to choose from in Fernie! Visit our Accommodation pages to find the perfect spot for you and your budget, including everything from hostels, motels and B&Bs to luxury & family-friendly hotels, expansive condos and spectacular mountain homes located in town, on mountain and inbetween!