As you're planning your getaways, be sure to check out all these great new activities, programs and events happening this summer in Fernie!
Museum Exhibit Opening June 6th—World War 1 Morrissey Internment Camp
- Now a ghost town outside of Fernie, Morrissey was once a First World War internment camp. Canada, as part of the British Empire, became part of the Allied First World War effort in August, 1914. Read more
‘Retreat to Nature’ Yoga at Island Lake Lodge June 16-19th
- Join My Yoga Online/GaiamTV regular contributing writer and RYT Coraley Letcher for yoga amidst old growth cedar forests at spectacular Island Lake Lodge. Read more
- ACMG guided rock climbing tours and clinics. Read more
Scheduled Guided Hikes with Wild Nature Tours
- From family friendly half-day hikes to full day and overnight excursions, these guided hikes explore some of Fernie’s spectacular front and backcountry trails. Hike dates—June 6, July 2, July 9, July 18, July 25, Aug 8, Aug 15, Aug 29. Read more
Fernie Alpine Resort Summer Updates – Opening Day June 27th
- New Old Growth Cedar Trail connects the Resort to Mt Fernie Provincial Park. Join a guided interpretive hike or explore on your own and connect to all the trails both the Resort and Provincial Park have to offer. More about Hiking Trails in Fernie.
- Neverland Trail—this advanced bike park trail is a sweet singletrack ride that spurs off of lower Rumplestumpskin and promises to be an adrenaline pumping experience. More Bike Park details.
- Mammoth Loop Trail—a new alpine cross-country biking loop at the top of the Timber Express Chair!
- New Observation Deck in Lizard Bowl—accessed via a short hike from the top of Elk Chair, the deck will offer stunning views of the valley.
- Kids Aerial Playground Enhancements—more features for the little kids to enjoy to have their fun amongst the trees! Best part is it’s free and perfect for kids ages 2 to 10. Have older kids? The main Aerial Playground is for older kids and adults, too. Read more
- Overnight Camping Experience—Treat your kids to a truly unique summer mountain experience with one of their two Howl at the Moon overnight camping events. This supervised camp takes the kids up the chairlift to stay overnight at Lost Boys Café and includes lots of fun, S’mores and breakfast. For ages 8+, $89/child, July 11th or August 15th. Read more
KR Enduro Race July 12th
- A fun and social mountain bike race with untimed climbs and timed descents featuring some of Fernie best all-mountain singletrack. Read more
Stand-Up Paddle Boarding on the Elk River with Mountain High Adventure
- Jump on our Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Boards and cruise along the Upper Elk River. This trip begins with flat water training with an experienced instructor/guide and flows into 6km of class 1 & 2 white water through scenic Fernie. Read more
Elk Valley Youth Leadership Camp August 10-14th with Fernie Connections
- A 5-day river focused leadership camp for ages 13-18. Consists of a 3-day/2 night canoeing expedition on the Kootenay River. Youth will grow in character, gain confidence and develop independence. Read more
Museum Exhibit Opening September 19th—The Rise & Fall of the Infamous Bootlegger Emperor Pic
- The Emilio Picariello story—a hardworking family man whose ambitions led to violence and to authorities realizing that criminalizing the use of liquor was not in the best interest of society. The story also provides insight into ethnic tensions, law and order and justice themes. Read More
Fernie Trout Town
- The secret's out. Fernie as a premier fly fishing destination was recently featured around the globe on the World Fishing Network in a dramatic series by Fly Fusion TV. Read more