The Fernie Chautauqua and Fall Fair is an annual fall festival celebrating local art, music, heritage, and cuisine.
This cultural extravaganza is hosted by the Fernie Museum, The Fernie Arts Station, Fernie Chamber of Commerce, Fernie Heritage Library and Wildsight.
View and download the full 2017 Schedule
Or visit the official event website
- 6:30PM at Fernie Heritage Library: Chautauqua & Fall Fair Kickoff
- Performances by the Ktunaxa Youth Dancer
- Welcome from Digitaries
- 7:00PM at Fernie Heritage Library: Booked! Fernie Writers' Series Season Launch
- Featuring Acclaimed Local Author: Angie Abdou and her new novel: In case I go.
- Welcome reception with complimentary appetizers and cash bar.
- Live music by Red Girl.
- Admission by suggested $10 donation.
- 5:30-9:30PM at Chautauqua Main Stage in Historic Downtown: Kootenay Hootenanny
- Featuring country musician Craig Moritz.
- Free admission, local food trucks, beer gardens.
- Concert starts at 7pm.
- 8-11AM at Fernie Museum: Pancake Breakfast
- Hosted by Knights of Columbus in aid of Syrian Refugee support.
- From 11AM: Historic Downtown Fernie Chautauqua:
- Opening Ceremonies
- Ktunaxa Cultural Demonstrations
- Historical Walking Tours
- Live Entertainment
- featuring Shelley Lynch, Dawson Rutledge, The Due Clause Trio, and Dory & The Weathermen
- Children's Activities
- Hosted by Grow Children's Boutique
- Fun for all the family
- Games, facepainting, entertainment and more!
- Doors Open at Fernie Historical Locations
- Explore Fernie's architectural gems.
- 9 heritage buildings throughout Fernie’s Heritage District will be open to the public.
- Volunteers providing short tours of each facility.
- Art Walk & Culture Crawl
- A self-guided tour of local galleries and studios. Meet the artists and see fascinating demonstrations throughout the day.
- Participating locations include:
- Fernie Arts Station
- Polar Peek Books and Treasures
- Fernie Arts Co-op
- Studio 562
- Brian Pollock Photography
- Stephanie's Glass and Art
- Eye of the Needle Gallery
- Clawhammer Press
- Angela Morgan Studio
- Kyle Hamilton Photography
- Art on the Lawn at City Hall
- Fernie Log Carver
- Sarah Pike Pottery
- 10AM-2PM at City Hall: 3rd Annual Fall Fair
- Clydesdale-drawn wagon rides, Classic Carnival Games, Blue Ribbon Contests, Chili Cook-Off, Mountain Market, Agricultural Displays, Apple Pressing Workshops, Blacksmithing, Cotton Candy, Tin Can Alley, and more...
- 1PM-2PM at Christ Church: Interdenominational Community Church Service
- 2-4PM at Fernie Senior's Centre: Chautauqua Afternoon Tea
- With the Trinity Mountain Ensemble String Quartet
- Menu includes Fernie Blend tea by Murchie's Tea of Victoria; scones with jam, marmalade, and Devonshire cream; Coronation chicken, smoked salmon with cream cheese, and cucumber with cress finger sandwiches; and dainties.
- Period dress encouraged! Watch for a 'Fascinator making class' prior to the event
- Tickets $15 available from the Senior's Centre and Fernie Museum
- 5-8PM at Fernie Family Centre: Community Harvest Dinner
- In celebration of the harvest, the organizing committee for the Chautauqua and Fall Fair invites you to a community dinner, with turkey and all the trimmings.
- Proceeds will benefit the Syrian Refugee Committee, continuing Fernie's long tradition of welcoming immigrants from around the world.
- Guest speaker: Lubomyr Luciuk, who will speak about the Ukrainian experience in western Canada and the internment operations at Morrissey, BC.
- Tickets are $15 and are available at the Fernie branch of Scotiabank.
For more details on Chautauqua & Fall Fair, bookmark the festival website and Facebook page.