Explore Fernie's creative side on a self-guided art tour of public works.
A self-guided tour of Historic Downtown Fernie's artisan galleries and locations. New map coming soon.
- The Arts Station, 601 1st Ave.
- Open daily 10am-3pm. New gallery show every month.
- Polar Peek Books & Treasures, 592 2nd Ave.
- Mon-Sat 9.30-5.30, Sun 12-5. Featured fine art paintings, cards and coffee table books.
- Fernie Arts Co-op, 572 2nd Ave.
- Mon-Sat 10-6, Sunday 12-4. Gallery space featuring the work of over 30 artists from paintings & drawings to sculpture & soap.
- Studio 562, 562 2nd Ave
- Hours Vary. Fine Art by Leanne Stothert & guest artists.
- Stephanie's Glass & Art Studio, 532a 2nd Ave.
- Tue-Fri 10.30-5.30, Sat 10.30-4. Glass artist on site & fine art gallery.
- Brian Pollock Photography, 532b 2nd Ave.
- Thu-Sun 10.30-5.30. Fine art photographer on site & photography gallery.
- The Green Petal, 421c 2nd Ave.
- Mon-Sat 9.30-5.30. Floral artistry, featured artists & artisan giftware.
- Angela Morgan, Artist. 441 2nd Ave.
- Fri & Sat 10-6. Fine art painter on site & fine art gallery.
- Clawhammer Letterpress & Gallery: 441 2nd Ave.
- Fri & Sat 10-6. Traditional Letterpress printer on site, fine art gallery.
- Fernie Heritage Museum, 491 2nd Ave.
- Daily 10-5.30. Permanent & rotating museum & art exhibits.
- Eye of the Needle Gallery & Studio, 260 5th St.
- Thu & Fri 10am-5pm / Sat 11:30-5:30pm. Felt artist in residence. Artisan glass, metal, and fibre art plus jewellery & candles.
- Kyle Hamilton Photography, 341c 3rd Avenue
- A wedding and lifestyle photography studio. Open regularly and by appointment. 250-423-0904
- The Miners Walk, front lawn of City Hall, 501 3rd Ave.
- Always open/outdoor. Interpretive outdoor exhibit with Fernie Forge sculptures and 'Face of the Miner' by Jeff de Boer.
- Mugshots Cafe, 592 3rd Avenue
- Mon-Fri 7-5, Sat 8-5. Featured artists on rotation on the walls of this cafe.
- Fernie Mountain Market, Rotary Park.
- 10-2, Sundays in July & August. Craft stalls & local produce.
- Chainsaw Craver - Mike Penny, has a working studio on Hwy 3 on the west side of town (1439 McDonald Ave/Hwy 3). Open most days and by appointment
- Sarah Pike Pottery - Home studio located at 1480 McDonald Avenue. Call 250-430-7937 for an appointment.
- Kathy Stead - Home studio located at 86 Ridgemont Drive. Call 250-423-4979 for an appointment.
THE FERNIE BANNER PROJECT
Descriptive brochures for the current banners located in downtown Fernie can be found at the Fernie Arts Station.
- For over 10 years, 36 works of art have been selected annually and turned into beautiful art banners. For 2017, this has been increased to 39 new banners. These banners are hung from the lightposts along 2nd Avenue in Historic Downtown Fernie, and when the new banners arrive each year the ones on 2nd Avenue are moved to the highway for a second year. The banners provide a colourful and interesting welcome to Fernie, highlighting our diverse arts & culture scene and welcoming visitors to explore and see our spectacular surroundings through someone else's eyes. Feature works include paintings, drawings and mixed media art from professional & amateur artists of all ages, photography, glasswork, pottery, quilting, sculpture, fibre art, metalwork, installations and more.
OUT OF THE BOX
Back in 2014, the 'Out of the Box' Dumpster Art became a reality, with the painting of the first 10 dumpsters by local artists. The event was so successful it became an annual event, and now there are 30+ beautiful works of art distributed around Fernie where once ugly dumpsters stood. The project will continue as long as there is interest and dumpsters to paint - so every year there will be a new collection of artwork. Art Dumpsters can be found at the following locations:
- On/off the highway:
- Chamber of Commerce - Anna Weston, 2014
- 7-11 - Laura Nelson, 2014
- Community Centre - Pamm Ciupa, 2014 / Liam Monaghan, 2014
- Arena - Lewis & Campisi Families, 2015
- Isabella Dicken Elementary School - Community Art, 2015 / Troy Cook, 2015
- Downtown (usually behind the business/property):
- The Arts Station - Community Art, 2014 / Aidan Lindsay, 2015
- Fernie Heritage Library - Fernie Academy 2014 / Fernie Academy - 2015
- The Brickhouse - Sasha Potter & Scott Cable, 2014 / Brina Schenk - 2015
- The Royal - Aidan Lindsay - 2014
- The Tipple - Jacqueline Mann - 2014
- Fernie Senior's Centre - Brina Schenk - 2014 / Peggy Black - 2015
- City Hall - Kate Middleton - 2014
- Fernie Legion - Fernie Rangers-Girl Guides, 2015
OTHER PUBLIC ART
The face of public art is constantly changing - here are a few spots you might like to check out:
- Summer 2015: In the laneway behind The Castle on 1st on the 400 block between 1st & 2nd Ave is a large mural by Aidan Lindsay depicting Fernie's Three Sisters in a graphic, abstract form.
- Summer 2015: In a small space between the Fernie Forge Eye of the Needle Studio and Fernie Meat Market on 5th Street is a towering multi-media sculpture by blacksmith Sandra Barret titled 'Blue Fern.'
- Winter 2014: On the back deck of the Royal Hotel on 1st Ave is a large colourful mural depicting a wolf by Liam Monaghan, and a vintage truck painted with a surrealist monster by Milarkey.
- Read about Fernie's Cenotaph - a memorial sculpture at the Fernie Courthouse - in the Edwardian Fernie Blog.