Fernie is located along Highway 3 in the southeast corner of British Columbia, Canada, close to the Alberta and USA borders.
COVID-19 Local & Travel Updates, including details on cross border travel.
Fernie is situated on Highway 3 (Crowsnest Pass Highway) that travels east to west from Alberta to BC. Highway 3 is the easiest and safest of all the highways going through the Rocky Mountains. However, always check and ask about driving conditions during the height of the winter season between November to March. Winter tyres are required on BC Highways from October 1st - April 30th.
The drive along Hwy 3 is beautiful and if you are coming from Calgary, consider including Hwy 22 south to Hwy 3 for an added scenic route. MAPS
Using Hwy 3, Fernie is only a 30-minute drive west from the Alberta border / north from the USA border. See driving times below.
For road conditions visit www.drivebc.ca.
DRIVING TIMES TO FERNIE
Not including stops/border crossings:
- Cranbrook, BC - 1 hour
- Kimberley, BC - 1.3 hours
- Whitefish, Montana - 1.5 hours
- Kalispell, Montana - 2.5 hours
- Calgary, Alberta - 3 hours
- Calgary Airport (YYC), Alberta - 3.5 hours
- Nelson, BC - 4 hours
- Spokane, Washington - 5 hours
- Banff/Lake Louise, Alberta - 4/4.5 hours
- Edmonton, Alberta - 6.5 hours
- Kelowna, BC - 7.5 hours
- Seattle, Washington - 9 hours
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - 9 hours
- Vancouver, BC - 11.5 hours
- Winnipeg, Manitoba - 15 hours
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING
Fernie has a variety of electric vehicle charging stations. Most are free to use, but some are for customers only. More are planned for installation in 2022.
Find details and updates of new locations and regional charging points for your journey on plugshare.com.
FLYING / BY AIR
Calgary, AB International Airport (YYC)
- Located in Calgary, Alberta - Approximately 300km from Fernie (3.5-hour drive)
- Direct international flights arrive regularly from around the globe; the primary choice for international travellers.
- Scheduled airport shuttles depart throughout the winter. All major car rental agencies and charter bus services are available.
- Flights from Calgary Airport to Fernie's closest airport, Cranbrook, are available daily, see below.
Cranbrook, BC / Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC)
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Located on the west coast of BC with regular international flights from around the globe - a good choice for travellers from Asia/Pacific, with regional flight service to Cranbrook/YXC which is the closest regional airport to Fernie.
- Vancouver is an 11-12 hour drive to Fernie, or add a flight to Cranbrook - approximately 1.5 hours, plus 1.25 hours to Fernie.
Glacier Park International Airport, Montana, USA (FCA)
- Located in Kalispell, Montana in the United States, a great option for US travellers.
- Kalispell is a 2.5 hour drive to Fernie, with no mountain passes.
- The USA / Canada Border at Roosville is open 24hrs a day, every day. You must have a valid passport to cross the border.
- Daily flights from numerous US cities and airlines.
- Rental Cars & Charter Shuttle Services are available from the airport.
Spokane International Airport, Washington, USA (GEG)
- Located in Washington State, USA.
- A 5-hour drive from Fernie with no mountain passes, providing another option for travellers.
- The US Border crossing at Kingsgate is open 24 hours. You must have a valid passport to cross the border.
For information on Canada Border Services & for travellers not from Canada please visit www.cbsa.gc.ca.
CAR RENTAL PROVIDERS
NB: There are no car rental agencies located in Fernie.
Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- The Rental Car Centre is located on the Departures Level across the roadway from the Domestic Terminal and features most major rental car companies. It can also be accessed by the elevator lobby across the Arrivals Roadway.
Cranbrook Airport / Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC)
Glacier Park International Airport (FCA)
- Avis, Budget, Hertz, National and Alamo have office locations next to the baggage claim area in the terminal of Glacier Park International Airport.
BY BUS / AIRPORT SHUTTLE
NB: Fernie is not currently on any daily long-distance bus service routes and there are no passenger train services to Fernie.
Airport Transportation providers:
- Mountain High Shuttle & Charters
- Based in Fernie offering charter shuttles for 12 - 24 people from $1000.
- Resort Tours
- Based in Kimberley offering luxury charter shuttles for small groups.
- Cranbrook Airport - Fernie from $400.
- Kalispell Airport - Fernie from $700.
- Calgary Airport - Fernie from $1150.
- Airport Shuttle Express
- Based in Calgary, offering charter shuttles starting at $595 for 2-3 people.
- Kootenay Taxi
- Based in Fernie, offering charter services for small groups.
- Cranbrook Airport - Fernie from $207 for up to 6 passengers/$325 for up to 11 passengers.
- Calgary Airport - Fernie from $602 for up to 6 passengers.
- The Fernie Shuttle
- Service suspended for winter 2021-2022.
FERNIE - CALGARY BUS SERVICE
- Mountain Man Mike's
- Based in Kaslo, offering weekly scheduled bus service.
- From $100 per person Fernie - Calgary / $40 Fernie - Cranbrook.
- Calgary pick-up/drop-off location is at Tim Hortons, 11488 24 St SE, approx 28km/20 minutes drive from Calgary Airport
- Fernie pick-up/drop-off location is at Tim Hortons, 1701 9th Ave
- Cranbrook pick-up/drop-off location is at Burger King, 513 Cranbrook St N
- Mondays: Departs Cranbrook noon, departs Fernie 1:40 pm, arrives Calgary at 7 pm
- Tuesday: Departs Calgary 7 am, arrives Fernie noon, arrives Cranbrook 1:40 pm
CRANBROOK TO FERNIE BUS SERVICE
- BC Transit
- Passengers with medical appointments have priority, however everyone can use this service if space is available.
- Wednesdays & Fridays:
- Departs Fernie (Elk Valley Hospital) 9 am, arrives Cranbrook (Tamarack Mall) 10:15 am
- Departs Cranbrook (Tamarack Mall) 3 pm, arrives Fernie (Elk Valley Hospital) 4 pm
- You must phone 24 hours ahead to book your trip. Information and Bookings: 855-417-4636
- One-way Fare for all passengers: $2.50
CRANBROOK AIRPORT - CRANBROOK SHUTTLE SERVICE
- The Airporter
- Operates 7 days per week before/after most scheduled flights.
- Call or text to book service from Cranbrook Accommodations to the Airport: 250-420-7628
- The shuttle will be waiting at the airport following arrivals to transport passengers into Cranbrook.
- Adults $20 / Seniors $15 / Couples $30 / Kids (under 12) $5
FINDING A RIDE
If you are travelling solo or on a low budget you may be able to find someone who can give you a ride for free or for the price of gas. The best way to connect with them is to post on Fernie Ride Share on Facebook. Use at your own risk.
GETTING AROUND FERNIE
- #FernieStoke Ski Shuttle
- Operates in the winter season during the day and evening.
- Daytime route includes most accommodations in town/on hwy #3 up to Fernie Alpine Resort.
- Evening route includes most on mountain accommodations to Best Western and the town of Fernie.
- Fernie - Sparwood/Elkford
- The Elk Valley Transit Service operates shuttles from Fernie to Elkford and Sparwood several times a day, Monday - Friday.
- One way service: $2.
- Kootenay Taxi
- 24 hour service
- Approx $25+ Fernie - Fernie Alpine Resort
- Call 250-423-4408 for pick up