Fernie is located along Highway 3 in the southeast corner of British Columbia, Canada. We are close to the Alberta and USA border. MAPS
COVID-19 Local & Travel Updates
Visit above links for details on cross border travel.
DRIVING / BY VEHICLE:
Fernie is situated on Highway 3 (Crowsnest Pass Highway) that travels east to west from Alberta to BC. Highway 3 is the easiest and safest of all the highways going through the Rocky Mountains. However, always check and ask about driving conditions during the height of the winter season between November to March. The drive along Hwy 3 is beautiful and if you are coming from Calgary, consider including Hwy 22 south to Hwy 3 for an added scenic route. MAPS
Using Hwy 3, Fernie is only a 30-minute drive west from the Alberta border and a 40-minute drive north from the USA border. See driving distance chart below.
For road conditions visit www.drivebc.ca. For electric charging station location see list below.
Driving times to Fernie, from:
- Cranbrook, BC - 1 hour
- Kimberley, BC - 1.3 hours
- Whitefish/Kalispell, Montana - 2 hours
- Calgary, Alberta - 3 hours
- Spokane, Washington - 5 hours
- Banff/Lake Louise, Alberta - 4.5 hours
- Edmonton, Alberta - 6.5 hours
- Seattle, Washington - 9 hours
- Vancouver, BC - 11.5 hours
FLYING / BY AIR:
Calgary, AB International Airport (YYC)
- Located in Calgary, Alberta - Approximately 300km from Fernie (3.5-hour drive)
- Direct international flights arrive regularly from around the globe; the primary choice for international travellers.
- Scheduled airport shuttles depart throughout the winter. All major car rental agencies and charter bus services are available.
- Flights from Calgary Airport to Fernie's closest airport, Cranbrook, are available daily, see below.
Cranbrook, BC / Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC)
Glacier Park International Airport (FCA)
- Located in Kalispell, Montana in the United States, a great option for US travellers.
- Kalispell is a two hour drive to Fernie. There are no mountain passes to cross so the drive is easy. You will have to across the USA / Canada Border at Roosville - open 24hrs a day, every day. You must have a valid passport to cross the border.
- Daily flights from numerous US cities and airlines.
- Rental Cars & Charter Shuttle Services are available from the airport.
Spokane International Airport in Washington is a 5-hour drive from Fernie providing another option for travellers.
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Located on the west coast of BC with regular international flights from around the globe - a good choice for travellers from Asia/Pacific, with regional flight service to Cranbrook/YXC which is the closest regional airport to Fernie.
- Vancouver is an 11-12 hour drive to Fernie, which make taking the 2nd flight from Vancouver to Cranbrook a desired option.
- Flight time from Vancouver to Cranbrook is approximately 1.5 hours.
For information on Canada Border Services & for travellers not from Canada please visit www.cbsa.gc.ca.
CAR RENTAL PROVIDERS:
Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- The Rental Car Centre is located on the Departures Level across the roadway from the Domestic Terminal. It can also be accessed by the elevator lobby across the Arrivals Roadway.
Cranbrook Airport / Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC)
Glacier Park International Airport (FCA)
- Avis, Budget, Hertz, National and Alamo have office locations next to the baggage claim area in the terminal of Glacier Park International Airport.
There are no car rental agencies located in Fernie.
Electric Vehucle Charging
Fernie has two free electric vehicle charging stations:
- City of Fernie/Fernie City Hall
501 3rd Ave
Sun Country CS-90 providing 69A @ 229V
Open 24hrs/Free Parking
- Red Apple
1102 6th Ave (Hwy #3)
Nema 14-50 240V
Open 24hrs/Free Parking (sign says 1 hour - ask management if you need longer)
- Fernie RV Resort
2001 6th Ave
Overnight RV Park - charges apply: 80 x Nema 14-50 & 4 x Wall Sockets
- Fernie Fox Hotel
2021 Highway #3
Free electric car charging for guests staying at the hotel
The next nearest locations to Fernie are:
- To the East, along Hwy #3 SPARWOOD - 2 Locations:
- Sparwood Chamber of Commerce
141 Aspen Drive, Sparwood, BC
1 x FLO Station J1772 - Level 2 Charging Station
- Centennial Square
Downtown Sparwood, BC
2 x FLO Stations: CHAdeMO & CCS/SAE
- To the East, along Hwy #3: Lost Lemon Campground
1905-1913 111th St, Coleman, Alberta
4 NEMA 14-50 PAY PARKING Stalls
- To the West, along Hwy #3: Jaffray Pump & Pantry
1950 Hwy #3, Jaffray, BC
Free Parking - FLO Station: 1 CCS/SAE plug-in, 1 CHAdeMO plug-in
BY BUS / AIRPORT SHUTTLE PROVIDERS:
Scheduled shuttles from YYC Calgary Airport, YXC Cranbrook Airport (seasonal) & year-round private charter service:
As of October 2018, Greyhound no longer stops in Fernie and Fernie is not currently on any long-distance bus service routes.
BC Transit: The Elk Valley Transit Service operates shuttles from Fernie to Elkford and Sparwood. More information can be found at BC Transit
Service to Cranbrook: Health Connections provides communities with a transportation option to access non-emergency medical appointments. Although medical appointments have priority, everyone can use this service if space is available. Service is available to any community along the route. You must phone 24 hours ahead to book your trip. If you have mobility difficulties, door-to-door service is available. Information and Bookings: 855·417·4636
One-way Fare for all passengers: $2.50
FINDING A RIDE:
If you are travelling solo or on a low budget you may be able to find someone who can give you a ride for free or for the price of gas. The best way to connect with them is to post a notice on fernierideboard.com or Fernie Ride Share on Facebook. Use at your own risk.
GETTING AROUND FERNIE:
LOCAL SKI SHUTTLE - between Town/Hotels and Fernie Alpine Resort:
The local #FernieStoke Ski Shuttle operates in the winter during the day and with limited evening service between Fernie Alpine Resort and the town of Fernie for the season. Cost is $4 per rider each way.
Approximate Driving Times in good conditions:
- Cranbrook, BC - 1 hr
- Kimberley, BC - 1.25 hrs
- Whitefish/Kalispell, Montana - 2 hrs
- Calgary, Alberta - 3 hrs
- Spokane, Washington - 4.5 hrs
- Banff/Lake Louise, Alberta - 4.5 hrs
- Edmonton, Alberta - 6.5 hrs
- Seattle, Washington - 9 hrs
- Vancouver, BC - 11.5 hrs
Closest Major Airports:
- 1 hour 15 min drive from the Canadian Rockies International Airport (Cranbrook, British Columbia)
- 3.5-hour drive from the Calgary International Airport (Calgary, Alberta)
- 2-hour drive from the Glacier Park International Airport (Kalispell, Montana)
- 4-hour drive from the Spokane International Airport (Spokane, Washington)
- 11-hour drive from Vancouver International Airport (Vancouver, BC)