Fernie is located along Highway 3 in the southeast corner of British Columbia, Canada. MAPS
Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- Approximately 300km from Fernie (3.5 hour drive)
- Direct international flights arrive regularly from around the globe; the primary choice for international travellers.
- Scheduled airport shuttles depart throughout the winter. All major car rental agencies and charter bus services available.
Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC)
- Locatedear Cranbrook/Kimberley, BC. 115km (approx 1 hr 10 minutes drive) from Fernie.
- Daily scheduled flights arrive from Calgary and Vancouver with other regular flights from around BC.
- Charter shuttle and rental car services are available.
- Airlines flying in and out of Cranbrook YXC include Air Canada, Pacific Coastal and FROM MARCH 7, 2018 Westjet.
Glacier Park Internationa Airport (FCA)
- Located in Kalispell, Montana in the United States, a great option for US travellers.
- Kalispell is only a two hour drive to the south of Fernie, across the USA Roosville Border Crossing - open 24hrs.
- Daily flights from numerous US cities and airlines.
- Rental Cars & Charter Shuttle Services are available.
Spokane International Airport in Washington is a 4 hour drive from Fernie providing another option for travellers.
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Located in western BC, on the coast, with regular internation flights from around the globe - a good choice for travellers from Asia/Pacific, with regional flight service to YXC.
- Approx 11-12 hour drive from Fernie.
- Flight time from Vancouver to Calgary or Cranbrook is approximately 1.5 hours.
Airfare, winter airport shuttles and car rentals can be booked with your lodging and activities by calling Resorts of the Canadian Rockies Agents at 1-800-258-7669 within North America, or by calling 1-403-209-3305 from other international locations.
For information on Canada Border Services & for travelers not from Canada please visit www.cbsa.gc.ca.
AIRPORT SHUTTLE PROVIDERS:
Scheduled Winter Ski Shuttles from YYC Calgary Airport:
Fernie is situated on Highway 3 (Crowsnest Pass Highway) that travels east to west from Alberta to BC. Highway 3 is the easiest and safest of all the highways going through the Rocky Mountains. However, always check and ask about driving conditions during the height of the winter season of November to March. The drive along Hwy 3 is beautiful and if you are coming from Calgary, consider including Hwy 22 south to Hwy 3 for an added scenic route.
Using Hwy 3, Fernie is only a 30 minute drive from the Alberta border and an approximate 40 minute drive from the USA border. See driving distance chart below.
For road conditions visit www.drivebc.ca
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING
Fernie has two free charging points:
- City of Fernie/Fernie City Hall
501 3rd Ave
Sun Country CS-90 providing 69A @ 229V
Open 24hrs/Free Parking
- Red Apple
1102 6th Ave (Hwy #3)
Nema 14-50 240V
Open 24hrs/Free Parking (sign says 1 hour - ask management if you need longer)
The next nearest locations to Fernie are:
- To the East, along Hwy #3: Lost Lemon Campground
1905-1913 111th St, Coleman
4 NEMA 14-50 PAY PARKING Stalls
- To the West, along Hwy #3: Jaffray Pump & Pantry
1950 Hwy #3, Jaffray
Free Parking - 1 CCS/SAE plug-in, 1 CHAdeMO plug-in
LOCAL SKI SHUTTLE - between Town/Hotels and Fernie Alpine Resort:
The local #FernieStoke Ski Shuttle operates in the winter during the day and with limited evening service between Fernie Alpine Resort and the town of Fernie for the season.
FINDING A RIDE:
If you are traveling solo or on a low budget you may be able to find someone who can give you a ride for free or for the price of gas. Best way to connect with them is to post a notice on fernierideboard.com or Elk Valley Garage Sale on Facebook. Fernie is also serviced by Greyhound Buslines, servicing all cities in North America.
Approximate Driving Times in good conditions:
- Cranbrook, BC - 1 hr
- Kimberley, BC - 1.25 hrs
- Whitefish/Kalispell, Montana - 2 hrs
- Calgary, Alberta - 3 hrs
- Spokane, Washington - 4.5 hrs
- Banff/Lake Louise, Alberta - 4.5 hrs
- Edmonton, Alberta - 6.5 hrs
- Seattle, Washington - 9 hrs
- Vancouver, BC - 11.5 hrs
Closest Major Airports:
- 1 hour 15 min drive from the Canadian Rockies International Airport (Cranbrook, British Columbia)
- 3.5 hour drive from the Calgary International Airport (Calgary, Alberta)
- 2 hour drive from the Glacier Park International Airport (Kalispell, Montana)
- 4 hour drive from the Spokane International Airport (Spokane, Washington)
- 11 hour drive from Vancouver International Airport (Vancouver, BC)