Fernie welcomes you to visit. Safety is important to you and to us.
Visit our Fernie COVID-19 news page for regular local travel updates. View all BC Government orders & protocols.
As of August 24th, 77% of Fernie area residents have had their first shot of the COVID-19 vaccine, 68% have had their 2nd. Read more about BC's vaccination plan. Canadian Government updates on Canada's vaccine.
Here’s what we’re doing to help you when in Fernie during the COVID pandemic:
- All businesses continue to have protocols and guidelines in place for safety and cleaning to keep patrons and staff safe and healthy. Ask businesses directly on how they are helping to keep you safe.
- Masks are mandatory in public indoor spaces again starting August 21, 2021.
- Signage at businesses and around the community will help provide any information and guidelines.
- If you have any general questions please feel free to call the Fernie Visitor Centre at 778-519-0748 or drop by (north end of town), they are open Monday to Friday from 9am - 5pm.
Here’s what we’re asking of you to help keep locals and other visitors safe, and to ensure a positive experience for everyone:
Interested in a 'Fernie' branded mask? $13 each. Contact Us for more details or drop by the Visitor Centre in Fernie located at 102 Commerce Road (north side of town on Hwy 3).
Before arriving in Fernie:
- Know before you go. Visit TourismFernie.com for regular updates, call the Visitor Centre 1-778-519-0748 or contact individual businesses for details specific to your trip.
- Plan to make SMART decisions:
- S - Stay home if you are not feeling well. Call 811 in BC for health advise.
- M - Mask up indoors and Measure your distancing (give space outside your family or travelling/household unit).
- A - Appropriate behaviour is essential. Take responsibility for your actions. Wash your hands frequently, cough/sneeze into your sleeve.
- R - Respect others and any protocols. Accept that there are new ways of travelling, entering businesses and participating in activities. Be kind, do not judge and do not discriminate.
- T - Together we will win through SMART decisions
- Book activities in advance. Make reservations for lodging. Call restaurants to confirm hours/availability, take-out and delivery options.
- Bring some of your own supplies and groceries with you if possible to limit large numbers and line-ups in local small grocery stores, liquor stores etc.
- Fernie is a small community with limited supplies. We encourage visitors to bring their own hand sanitizer and masks.
- If you have been sick in the week prior to travelling or have a cough, flu-like symptoms - reschedule your trip. Ask businesses about flexible cancellation policies.
While in Fernie:
- Understand current provincial protocols: View updated BC Gov't restrictions in detail.
- Be kind, respectful and have patience with others. Please read and adhere to signage. We are all in this together and our community and businesses continue to work under reduced guidelines to ensure your safety and for their staff while providing a quality experience and product.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- If you or someone in your travel unit begin to feel unwell stay in your place of lodging, call 811 and follow the directions by the provincial health authorities. You may be required to be tested locally for COVID-19 which has an approximate turn-around time of 48 hours.
- Many businesses have times when they are busier vs less busy within a given day or day of the week. Consider calling ahead to confirm the best times so you may be serviced more quickly.
- Contact restaurants and stores to ask about take-out, delivery and/or pick-up services if you are uncomfortable with shopping or dining indoors.
- Keep your dog on leash throughout town, on community trails and in local parks. There is an off-leash dog park in town off 13th Street just past the Recycle Depot.
Questions? Our website has tons of information to get you started. For more details contact individual businesses directly or call the Fernie Visitor Centre staff at 1-778-519-0748 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you arrive in town, the staff at the Fernie Visitor Centre, located on Hwy 3 north of town, open Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm, will be available to help answer any of your questions.
We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your courtesy.