Explore Fernie's creative side on a self-guided art tour of public works.
A self-guided tour of Historic Downtown Fernie's artisan galleries and locations.
Download PDF of Art Walk Map & Guide
- The Arts Station & A Hardy Town Sculpture, 601 1st Ave.
- Open daily 10-3. New gallery show every month.
- Polar Peek Books & Treasures, 592 2nd Ave.
- Mon-Sat 9.30-5.30, Sun 12-5. Featured fine art paintings, cards and coffee table books.
- Fernie Arts Co-op, 572 2nd Ave.
- Mon-Sat 10-6, Sunday 12-4. Gallery space featuring the work of over 40 artists from paintings & drawings to sculpture & soap.
- Studio 562, 562 2nd Ave.
- Saturdays 10-5. Fine Art by Leanne Stothert & guest artists.
- Stephanie's Glass & Art Studio, 532a 2nd Ave.
- Tue-Fri 10.30-5.30, Sat 10.30-4. Glass artist on site & fine art gallery.
- Brian Pollock Photography, 532b 2nd Ave.
- Thu-Sun 10.30-5.30. Fine art photographer on site & photography gallery.
- 'Wolf' by Liam Monahan and the Monster Truck by Milarkey at the Royal, 501 1st Ave
- Look behind the Royal for two striking pieces of art.
- Aiden Lindsay murals - in the laneway behind Elks Hall (1st Ave) and on the side of The Castle on First (1st Ave)
- A colourful abstract landscape, and wings to take a selfie with.
- The Green Petal, 421c 2nd Ave.
- Mon-Sat 9.30-5.30. Floral artistry, featured artists & artisan giftware.
- Fernie Museum, 491 2nd Ave.
- Daily 10-5.30. Permanent & rotating museum & art exhibits.
- Eye of the Needle Gallery & Studio & Blue Fern Sculpture, 260 5th St.
- Thu & Fri 10am-5pm / Sat 11:30-5:30pm. Felt artist in residence. Artisan glass, metal, and fibre art plus jewellery & candles.
- The Fernie Cenotaph at the Fernie Courthouse, 401 4th Ave
- Always open/outdoor. Visit Fernie's tribute to our fallen heroes. Read more in the Edwardian Fernie Blog.
- The Miners Walk, front lawn of City Hall, 501 3rd Ave.
- Always open/outdoor. Interpretive outdoor exhibit with Fernie Forge sculptures and 'Face of the Miner' by Jeff de Boer.
- Fernie Mountain Market, Rotary Park.
- 10-2, Sundays in July & August. Craft stalls & local produce.
- Chainsaw Carver - Mike Penny has a working studio on Hwy 3 on the west side of town (1439 McDonald Ave/Hwy 3). Open most days and by appointment.
- Sarah Pike Pottery - Home studio located at 1480 McDonald Avenue. Call 250-430-7937 for an appointment.
- Kathy Stead - Home studio located at 86 Ridgemont Drive. Call 250-423-4979 for an appointment.
THE FERNIE BANNER PROJECT & OUT OF THE BOX
For over 10 years, 36 works of art have been selected annually and turned into beautiful art banners. These banners are hung from the light posts along 2nd Avenue in Historic Downtown Fernie, and when the new banners arrive each year the ones on 2nd Avenue are moved to the highway for a second year.
The banners provide a colourful and interesting welcome to Fernie, highlighting our diverse arts & culture scene and welcoming visitors to explore and see our spectacular surroundings through someone else's eyes. Feature works include paintings, drawings and mixed media art from professional & amateur artists of all ages, photography, glasswork, pottery, quilting, sculpture, fibre art, metalwork, installations and more. Descriptive brochures for the current banners located in downtown Fernie can be found at the Fernie Arts Station.
Since 2014 the 'Out of the Box' Dumpster Art Project has endeavoured to bring art to the public dumpsters in Fernie, ideal canvases for large-scale artwork. A weekend of dumpster painting is now held annually at the start of every summer and has resulted in over 35 beautiful works of art distributed around Fernie where once ugly dumpsters stood. Art Dumpsters can be found throughout town.