Canada's 153rd Birthday will look a little different this year but Fernie still plans to celebrate - join in virtually or from your own safe space when you visit!
Fernie has come together (virtually!) to plan a celebration that anyone can enjoy safely from their condo or hotel room now that visitors are once again welcome in Fernie. Not ready to travel yet? Join us online for a concert featuring Fernie's brightest stars. Here's how to join in:
- Decorate your home, driveway, lawn, trees or balcony. Visiting from out of town? Decorate your hotel balcony, window or even your car, or just join us along the route to wave your flag and show your #Ferniestoke Canada Pride! See the planned 'mobile celebration' route for July 1st here: https://www.facebook.com/events/349916979323388/
GET YOUR BAKE ON!
- Compete in the Great Fernie Bake Off with Freshies
- All details at https://www.instagram.com/p/CB0fiA1DMLd/
- Post a photo of your creation on Instagram by Sunday June 28th with the hashtags #greatferniebakeoff and #ferniestoke
- Judging takes place on Monday 29th, winner announced Tuesday 30th.
COLLECT YOUR SUPPLIES on June 30th:
Purchase a LOCAL CANADA DAY KIT to help you celebrate!
- Contains supplies to make a pitcher of Fog Lemonade from Fernie Distillers, 2 Fernie Pint Glasses, a $20 surprise gift card for a Fernie Restaurant, Sweet treats from Cath Chartrand, A coupon for a large poutine from The Chopstick Truck, 2 Fernie Stickers and Canada Day Swag
- Call the Fernie Visitor Information Centre on 250-423-6868 to reserve and pre-pay for your kit by 4pm on Friday, June 26th.
- Kits are $100 + GST. Supplies are limited - call now and support Fernie's businesses!
- Pick up your kit on Tuesday, June 30th, between 2 - 5pm.
Pick up a free Craft Kit for Kids or Teens:
Collect twirling Stick supplies from the Fernie Heritage Library, 392 3rd Ave (from the garden entrance)
Available for pick up on Tuesday, June 30th between 10am - 4pm
Supplies included to create a rhythm twirling stick to show off at the Canada Day Mobile Celebration!
- Tune into the Library's Facebook page on July 1st at 10 am to get step by step instructions
Collect craft supplies from The Arts Station, 601 1st Ave, for kids and teens:
- Pick up supplies Tuesday, June 30th between 10am - 3pm
- Reserve a trucker hat kit for ages 12-18 online and tune in on Wednesday, July 1st at 10am for a pre-recorded inspiration video
- Collect paper crown supplies or sidewalk chalk packs for kids
- Kids packs are first-come first-served
- Instructional chalk art video will be posted at 10am on July 1st; email a photo (or share via facebook or instagram) of your artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win an Arts Station prize!
Grab a copy of The Fernie Museum's Fernie Scavenger Hunt:
- Pick up a printed copy of the clues from the Visitor Centre or DOWNLOAD the PDF.
- Complete your scavenger hunt with friends and family in your own bubble.
- Submit your completed scavenger hunt (you can send a scanned/photo of the answer sheet, or just type the answers into an email) to email@example.com by July 2nd for a chance to win a $20 gift card to a local restaurant or a Fernie Museum swag bag.
WATCH THE FUN IN PERSON OR ONLINE!
2PM: MOBILE CANADA DAY CELEBRATION
- Decorate your house, vehicles, yard, driveway, window or balcony and watch for a mobile celebration touring Fernie - complete with The Griz himself!
- The mobile celebration will depart from the Visitor Information Centre at 2pm on July 1st and visit Hwy #3 - Ridgemont - Montane - Fernie Mobile Home Park - Mountain View - Historic Downtown - Annex - West Fernie - Alpine Trails, ending at 5pm. See full schedule on Facebook.
- A videographer will be participating to record this unique celebration. Remember to maintain physical distance as you celebrate with your neighbours!
7PM: VIRTUAL CONCERT
- Round out the day with an online concert featuring Fernie's fantastic performers!
- The concert will kick off with a virtual community singing of ‘O Canada’ lead by Hark Raving Sirens karaoke-style - let's hear you sing, Fernie!
- The show continues with performances by 100% homegrown talent:
- Redgirl is a light shade of bluegrass with some visible folk roots showing. Sweet, sassy and bright Canadian Red.
- Wild Honey is a female trio of singer-songwriters from the East Kootenays playing roots music with a sound all their own. They will shake you to your prairie roots!
- The Runs are Fernie’s favourite #2 punk rock band, back to melt your faces off and be the catalyst of an awesome living room mosh and dance party.
- Shred Kelly is a five-piece, alternative folk-rock band that emerged from the heart of the Canadian Rockies in 2009. Over the past decade the band have taken their highly energetic live show from humble beginnings on the Canadian ski-town circuit to the international stage. We are especially excited to hear songs from their new record ‘Like a Rising Sun’ released on June 19, 2020.
- Join in on zoom - there will be prizes up for grabs for best dressed and best dance moves!
- ZOOM LINK: https://zoom.us/j/4363878084?pwd=TTk5bExSNzlZNzZYaXpIOHJIOHFEUT09
- Meeting ID: 436 387 8084
- Password: 250423
Wear Red - Maintain Social Distance - Have Fun!