Showcasing the greatest gravel in British Columbia!
The Fernie Gravel Grind is a weekend long gravel cycling experience located in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, home to some of the best gravel riding that Canada has to offer. Over the course of the weekend, riders will race up picturesque mountain roads, experience historical downtown Fernie and connect with a growing community of Canadian gravel cyclists. Following their mission, Anything Goes With Gravel, the race itself is open to anyone and everyone and offers multiple distances, race categories and fun activities for the whole family all weekend long.
- Friday June 23th, - Industry Night 5:00 - 10:00pm
Start the weekend off right by picking up your race package and hanging out at Industry Night located at Historical Station Square, Downtown Fernie. Two nights of live music, industry vendors, local food trucks and Award Winning Canadian Beer by Fisher Peak Brewing. Both days of festivities are open to all participants AND the public - bring your friends and family!
- Saturday, June 24th - The Gravel Grind 10:00am - 4:30pm
With three of the most scenic gravel routes to choose from, riders will spend the better part of Saturday morning and afternoon racing (or riding!) these iconic routes throughout the Elk Valley. The Mini, Short, Medium and Long Haul routes will be carefully marked featuring the classic FGG Stoke Stations, fully loaded with the best ride food, XACT Nutrition, and enthusiastic volunteers to make sure every rider finishes with a smile. This is the big day for those who are here to race.
- Saturday, June 24th - Post-Race Celebrations 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Dance the night away at Station Square with performances by electronic funk & jazz specialist, Alex Maher, before welcoming the Fernie Gravel Grind's Weekend Headliner and Canadian hit band, TEN02. Award and Initiative presentations will be held throughout the evening.
- Sunday, June 25th - Sunday Social Group Rides
Full Weekend Riders will begin with a relaxed day out on the town starting with a Coffee & Gelato Social, No-Drop Group Rides showcasing Fernie’s local gravel hits led by special guests, and post-race beverages with more live music. Full Weekend Riders also receive a custom FGG X 7MESH Jersey in addition to more swag from sponsors such as Shimano & Lazer. The Sunday Social is only offered to registered Full Weekend Riders, capped at 30 female & 30 male riders.
- Single Day Experience - REGISTER ONLINE
- Adult Single Day - $149.99 + tax and registration fees
- Junior Single Day - $89.99 + tax and registration fees
- The Single Day Experience is a great starter pack to the Fernie Gravel Grind, featuring everything from the Friday Industry Night through to Saturday's Gravel Grind and Post-Race Festivities Downtown Fernie. Sunday is not included in single-day experience.
- Full Weekend Experience - REGISTER ONLINE
- Adult Full Weekend - $199.99 + tax and registration fees
- NB: The Full Weekend is not open to juniors
- The Full Weekend Experience is the full meal deal and gives you access to everything the Fernie Gravel Grind has to offer from Friday and Saturday's festivities and racing to the laid back Sunday Social Group Rides with custom FGG jersey from 7mesh Cycling Apparel and Lazer-Shimano Canada swag. Space is limited as registration is capped at 30 females and 30 males.
WAITLIST: Some categories are sold out! If you cannot find the category you are looking for, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on a waitlist.
For full event details and updates, visit ferniegravelgrind.com
Online Registration is now open!
Gravel Grind Race Routes
For 2023, the Fernie Gravel Grind will offer FOUR gravel routes varying in distance to accommodate for all riders.
**NB: Course Files to be released after January 30th**
Riders can choose from:
- 15km Mini Haul (for U15s)
- New to the 2023 Fernie Gravel Grind, we will be offering a Mini Haul. The Mini Haul is specifically for 6-12 year olds. Kids will be grouped together for a non-timed ride with leaders who will ensure that the Mini Haul riders get to experience the excitement and stoke of the FGG in a safe and fun environment. There will also be a kids-specific Stoke Station with snacks, water and first aid.
- Distance: ~14km / Elevation: ~200m / Duration: 1-2 hours / Number of Aid/Stoke Stations: 2
- 35km Short Haul
- For those new to adventure racing or those who just want to take the scenic route, the Short Haul is not too hot and not too cold, it really is just right. The Short Haul features a roller coaster of a ride with incredible vistas to boot throughout the Elk Valley. Ear to ear grins guaranteed.
- Distance: ~35km / Elevation: ~500m / Duration: 1.5-3 hours / Number of Aid/Stoke Stations: 2
- 60km Medium Haul
- For those looking for a bit more adventure, we bring you the Medium Haul. In similar fashion to the Short Haul, the Medium Haul features a roller coaster of a ride with next to none views of the Elk Valley and Wigwam.
- Distance: ~60km / Elevation: ~1,000m / Duration: 3-6 hours / Number of Aid/Stoke Stations: 4
- The Long Haul
- Here in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The riding is just as beautiful as it is unrelenting and every descent is hard earned. But whether or not you’re here to be the first across the finish line or to simply take in the scenery with friends, you are guaranteed for an epic day out on the Long Haul. The Long Haul takes the seasoned adventurer riders from Downtown Fernie out to the cusp of the picturesque Flathead Valley and back, not without a mountain pass and getting up close and personal with mother nature of course.
- Distance: ~120km / Elevation: ~1,800m / Duration: 4-6 hours / Number of Aid/Stoke Stations: 6
Single Day License
As a Cycling BC sanctioned event, the FGG has purchased Sport Accident Coverage for all of its riders. This means riders do NOT have to purchase a Single Day Race License as the FGG has already purchased them on riders behalf. By signing the liability waiver during the CCN registration process each rider has additional coverage in the event of an accident.
- Gravel, Cross Country or Cyclocross bikes.
- Minimum 32c tire requirement.
- Prepare to be out longer than expected, bring extra food, water and weather-appropriate gear.
- ANYTHING LESS THAN 32C TIRES ARE NOT PERMITTED (WELCOME TO GRAVEL RACING IN THE ROCKIES!)
Supporting the Local Community
The Fernie Gravel Grind is committed to supporting the community. Since 2020 the FGG has given back over $16,000 to various organizations including the Fernie Trails Alliance, Elk Valley Suicide Task Force, Kootenay Adaptive Sport Association, Fernie Search and Rescue and many aspiring youth racers through the Fernie Gravel Grind's Write to Race Initiative.
The Fernie Gravel Grind occurs entirely within the traditional territories of the Ktunaxa people. The organisers acknowledge their welcome and graciousness to all riders who seek adventure here.