Travel is allowed. Safety is important to you and to us. Let's all be respectful and kind.
BC Government has mask and gathering orders in place, orders are enforceable, details below.
At least 1 dose proof of vaccination is now required for certain indoor activities throughout BC - details below. 2nd dose/full vaccination by October 24th for those same specific activities.
As of September 14th, 80% of Fernie area residents have had their 1st shot, 72% their 2nd. There are 24 active COVID-19 cases as of September 11th in the Fernie & Elk Valley area, down from 30.
USA & International Travellers
International border travel is controlled by the Canadian Government. Fully vaccinated USA & International travellers are welcome to visit Canada. Pre-travel process and proof of vaccination are required. Vaccinations must be those approved by the Canadian government.
VIEW: USA & international travel to Canada requirements.
Ensure you are aware of any travel requirements by your own government on your return back into your country.
Updated Mask & Gathering Restrictions
- Masks are mandatory in public indoor spaces for those aged 12 and older (some exceptions apply)
- Personal gatherings:
- Outdoors are limited (e.g. private BBQs, block parties) are limited to 50 people.
- Indoors, including vacation rentals, are limited to no more than one additional household or 5 additional guests.
- Organized gatherings/events:
- Indoor organized events can have a capacity of 50 people or 50% of a venue’s capacity (whichever is greater) with proof of full vaccination (two doses).
- Indoor organized events less than 50 people do not require proof of vaccination, but contact information (name and phone number) of all attendees must be collected and retained for 30 days.
- Outdoor organized events can have a capacity of 5,000 people or 50% of a venue’s capacity (whichever is greater) with proof of full vaccination (two doses).
- Outdoor organized events less than 100 people do not require proof of vaccination.
Proof of Vaccination Details - All of BC:
- As of September 13th anyone wanting to participate or attend the below activities must have proof of at least their 1st dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. Proof of vaccination is not required to travel into BC.
- Starting October 24th proof of 2nd dose to participate or attend the below activities is required, unless you've had the 'one shot' Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
For visitors from outside of BC, proof of vaccination will be required only for the below activities. Please have your official provincial or state vaccination details with your travel and photo ID. For other/overseas countries visiting have your proof of vaccination used to enter Canada and your passport.
The only exemption will be children under 12 that are not able to be vaccinated yet. The BC Government states that there is no exemption at this time for those unable to get the vaccine for health or religious reasons.
Activities that will require proof of vaccination include:
- Licensed restaurants and cafes that offer table service (indoor and patio dining), including liquor tasting rooms in wineries, breweries or distilleries
- Pubs, bars and lounges (indoor and patio dining)
- Indoor organized events with 50 or more people. For example: wedding and funeral receptions (outside of a funeral home), organized parties, conferences, trade fairs and workshops
- Indoor ticketed sporting events with more than 50 people
- Indoor concerts, theatre, dance and symphony events with more than 50 people
- Nightclubs, casinos and movie theatres
- Gyms, exercise/dance facilities/studios and these activities happening in recreation facilities
- Businesses offering indoor exercise/fitness
- Indoor adult group and team sports for people 22 years old or older
- Indoor organized group recreational classes and activities with more than 50 people like pottery, art and choir
- Spectators at indoor youth sporting events with more than 50 people
- Additional Details
PLEASE have your proof of vaccination and valid government ID ready and available when asked.
These new proof of vaccination measures are in place until at least January 31st, 2022, however, the BC Govt will be reassessing monthly.
BC will not be moving to Step 4 of the Restart Plan on September 7th as initially planned. BC's 4 Step Restart Plan
Need a COVID TEST?
If you are unwell, a COVID -19 test can be booked online at www.interiorhealth.ca and by following the link to "Book a Covid-19 Test”. Alternatively, the Test Booking Phone line can be reached by calling 1-877-740-7747.
To ensure the stop of spreading any cold, flu or viruses, including COVID-19:
- Wash your hands frequently and have hand sanitizer with you at all times
- Social distancing with those outside your bubble/household etc.
- Stay home or away from others when not feeling well.
- Wear a mask in public indoor spaces
- Cover your mouth and nose with your arm when you cough/sneeze
- Don't touch your face with unclean hands
Additional Links & Information:
Are you a resident or property owner in Fernie? Visit FernieStrong.com
Local Community Vaccination Status Numbers - click on the Vaccination Progress Tab
BC & Interior BC COVID Stats & Info - BC CDC | BC's COVID-19 Tracker | Interior Health media releases.
BC's Vaccination Status
Alberta's COVID-19 Tracker
City of Fernie
Fernie Fresh Food Share
Salvation Army Fernie - Facebook Page
Regional District of East Kootenay
Interior BC Health Authority
Canadian Government Support for Individuals & Businesses
BC Government Support for Individuals & Businesses
Elk Valley COVID Support Team
BC Centre for Disease Control
Government of Canada Public Health