The 7,000 acres of pristine wilderness at Island Lake provides countless hiking opportunities.
Whether you are interested in a 30-minute walk or a full day hike, Island Lake has what you need on the best maintained and most diverse hiking trails in the valley.
Want to learn about flora and fauna? Guided interpretive hikes are available. Experienced hiking guides can take you on a short half day interpretive walk or an all-day adventure. A guided hike is a great way to discover places you may not experience on your own and learn about the local environment.
- HEIKO'S TRAIL
Sundays, July 14th, August 4th, and September 8th
- 22km, elevation gain 4500 m
Rating: Very Difficult
Shuttles depart the lodge at 7am, or meet at the Trailhead at Hartley Lake Road at 8am. (Pre-booking required)
The trail starts 2 km down a cart track, 3 km north-west of Hartley Lake on the Hartley Creek Road, with a rewarding finish at Island Lake Lodge.
Highlights: Waterfalls, caves, snowfields, big mountain passes.
A high level of fitness and route finding skills are required and hiring a professional guide is strongly recommended.
Call lodge to book 250-423-3700
2019 Guided Hiking Rates:
- Half Day Hike – $49 per person (Minimum 2 people)
- Full Day Hike – $109 per person (Minimum 2 people) – ACMG certified hiking guide.
- Overnight Hikes - $300 for 2 people. Additional people $50 each.
2019 Sunday Guided Hiking Schedule
- July 14th - Heiko's Trail
- July 28th - Big White Peak
- August 4th - Heiko's Trail (Primetime for Alpine Wildflowers)
- August 11th - Spineback/Goldilocks
- August 25th - Spineback/Goldilocks
- September 8th - Heiko's Trail
Make sure to schedule time to enjoy lunch or dinner at the lodge, relax in the Spa or stay for a night and enjoy the most beautiful B&B experience in Fernie.