For strong knees and wild hearts!
This itinerary is designed with the active visitor in mind. Sample the best of Fernie's Mountain Biking, Hiking, Whitewater Rafting and more on an 8-day Adventure Tour- can you keep up?
Day 1: Hike at Fernie Alpine Resort
- The Timber Chair at Fernie Alpine Resort runs Saturdays & Sundays plus July 1st & August 3rd from 10.30am-4.30pm from late June until early September. Soar to 5662ft, then hike the ridge to the top of Polar Peak. 360º views of the spectacular Rocky Mountains will take your breath away. Unique local flora, fauna and fossils make this a fascinating full day hike for all ages. Ride & hike at your leisure or book a guided tour at guest services for an informative and fun day out.
- Lunch: enjoy a leisurely hour at Lost Boys Café conveniently located at the top of the Timber Chair- the perfect spot for the family to plan the week's activities and enjoy the view from the patio.
- Dinner: Venture off mountain to the newly renovated Bridge Bistro and relax on the patio with views of the the mountain you've just hiked! The menu has something for everyone in the family to enjoy.
- Ride straight from Historic Downtown Fernie to the Ridgemont Trail Network. Explore the perfect mix of flowy downhill, cruisey cross-country and technical ascents. Pick up a copy of the Fernie Multi-use trail map at locations around town and see how many of the trails you can tick off!
- 'Locals approved' recommended route: Fernie Aquatic Centre > Cemetery By-Pass > Kiddy-Up > Ecoterrorist > Broken Derrailleur > R Trail > Kush > Kushier > Kushiest > Coal Discovery Trail > Old Stumpy > Fernie Aquatic Centre. Check out the route on Strava.
- Already discovered the fantastic Ridgemont Trails? Try one of the other areas- explore forest trails at Mt Fernie Provincial Park or venture out to the challenging terrain at Castle Mountain.
- Lunch: Ridgemont is perfectly situated for a quick run into town to grab a bagel lunch at Big Bang Bagels.
- Dinner: Head back into Historic Downtown Fernie for dinner and a welcome pint of Fernie Brewing Company Beer at The Brickhouse-or the Pub Bar & Grill at Park Place Lodge the perfect spot for bragging about your day's conquests with local bikers. Thursday night is jam night at The Brickhouse, and Trivia Night at the Pub, pick your favourite entertainment and have a great night out!
- Two companies raft the Elk River daily - Canyon Raft Company and Mountain High Adventures. Jump on the trip bus at 9 or 10am and ride out to the start of your whitewater adventure. After suiting up and a safety talk, it's time to hit the river! There's grade II, III & IV rapids plus stretches of swiftwater catch your breath. The amazing scenery includes towering canyon walls, forested hillsides and historic relics including disused bridge supports. Towards the end of the trip the river becomes more gentle and there may be an opportunity to do some cliff jumping or swim in the more gentle rapids.
- Lunch is provided on your whitewater trip- stop at a camp kitchen for a delicious riverside picnic!
- Dinner: Back in town, Explore Fernie's authentic ethnic cuisine. Ask for a tatami room at Yamagoya Japanese Restaurant and sample the best sushi west of Vancouver. The sashimi carpaccio melts in your mouth, and there's a great selection of traditional and fusion rolls to choose from along with delicous appetizers like tuna tataki, gyoza and air-light tempura.
Day 4: Take a Rest Day!
- Explore Historic Downtown Fernie: Start at the Fernie Museum and learn about Fernie's past & present or relax at the beautiful Fernie Heritage Library with a good book. The Miner's Walk is just a few steps away and has even more interactive displays plus sculpture and rest areas.
- In the afternoon, discover Fernie's eclectic art scene including The Arts Station and The Arts Co-op or take in a varied selection of shopping options including the fascinating Beanpod Chocolate and Clawhammer Letterpress plus plenty of unique clothing, gift and specialty boutiques.
- Lunch/Dinner: Loaf in downtown Fernie transforms from a bakery and lunch spot during the day to a restaurant in the evening. Chose from a delicious selection of home-made sandwiches, pies, salads, pastas, hand-tossed pizza and specialty desserts to dine in or take out. Perfect for morning coffee, luxuriously late lunches, afternoon tea, family dinners- you could spend all day here!
- Dinner: A rest day is the perfect day to enjoy a special meal - try the sublime Island Lake Lodge; perfect inspiration for tomorrow's adventure hike and you can leave a vehicle here to pick up at the end of the trail. Gourmet cuisine includes locally sourced produce and the 3000 bottle wine cellar is certain to delight. Relax and enjoy the spectacular mountain views from the patio or picture windows in the Ancient Timbers Dining Room. Make sure to book ahead as tables fill up fast, particularly for Date Night Mondays and Wine Tasting Wednesdays.
- Check our events calendar for nightlife options- the Arts Station has regular concerts and special events including the Wednesday evening Outdoor Concert Series in July & August.
- Virtually unknown until recently, the spectacular Mountain Lakes Trail is a full day wilderness hike over 2 mountain passes interspersed with wildflower meadows and towering peaks. So good we gave it two names! The Mountain Lakes Trail is also well known as Heiko's Trail after local (and still active) legendary trail builder Heiko Socher. Highlights include beautiful waterfalls, iron bridges, the Bisaro Cave, and plenty of opportunities to see the local wildlife in its natural habitat. Expect this hike to take around 10-12 hours, or make it an overnight trip by packing wilderness camping gear and spend a beautiful night under the stars in an alpine Meadow. This is bear country, so make sure to go prepared and never hike alone.
- Guided hikes are offered by Island Lake Lodge and Wild Nature Tours on specific summer dates.
- Shuttles are required to access this one-way route- leave a vehicle at Island Lake Lodge for the end of your trip.
- Need an easier option? There's lots of 4-6 hour hikes around Fernie. Enjoy Spectacular views from the top of Mt Fernie, Castle Mountain or Mt Proctor.
- Lunch: Don't forget to pack plenty of water & food, there's lots of great take-out options in downtown Fernie.
- Dinner: The trail ends at Island Lake Lodge, where you will conveniently have left your vehicle the night before. A short drive down through the old growth cedars & Mt Fernie Provincial Park will bring you the Tandoor Restaurant & Grill at Stanford Hotels & Resort. Incredible, authentic, Indian & Nepalese cuisine will satisfy any hungry hiker from specialty tandoor dishes including creamy butter chicken to hand-made chapati & naan breads.
- After your big hike yesterday enjoy a relaxing morning, then head to Fernie Alpine Resort for hours of fun and challenges on the high ropes and obstacles including the rickety bridge, shrinking islands, snowboard slide and leap of faith. 3 mini ziplines add the element of speed and there's plenty of options to stick to the easier obstacles or try something more challenging. Tours begin every few hours throughout the day and you can set your own pace after the initial instruction. Minimum height/weight restrictions apply. There's even a fun free section available for little kids and a giant zipline add-on option.
- Lunch/Dinner: Lizard Creek Lodge (near the base of the Elk Chair) has great dining options for everyone throughout the day or rent a fondue pot or raclette set from Le Grand Fromage for a fun dining option back at your condo!
Day 7: Horseback Riding with Bull River Adventures
- Ride through forest, alpine meadows and mountain passes on sure footed mountain horses that have all been specifically chosen for this type of terrain. Trips are at a walking pace, giving the best opportunity to take in the spectacular scenery & hopefully spot some wildlife!
- Located north of Fernie in the beautiful Bull River Valley. Approx 30 minutes drive from Fernie via Sulphur Creek Road (rough backcountry road- 4WD with high clearance required) or approx 1.5 hours via Bull River Forest Service Road, a well-maintained gravel road.
- Lunch is provided on full day tours; or pack a lunch to enjoy before or after a half day ride at a nearby lake or forest meadow.
- Dinner: complete the experience with a cowboy steak dinner around the campfire on Fridays and Saturdays- ask about this when you book!
Day 8: Bike Park at Fernie Alpine Resort
- The Bike Park at Fernie Alpine Resort is one of BC's best- with 37 marked trails you'll need to come more than once to take it all in! Start out on the confidence building Honey Bee before tearing through Top Gun's famous berms and moving on to the Timber Chair to tackle the challenges of Rumplestiltskin and Megasaurus.
- The Elk Chair runs daily throughout the summer from 10.30am-4.30pm and until 7.30pm on Thursdays, The Timber Chair runs on Saturdays & Sundays plus July 1st & Aug 3rd.
- Rentals are available at the Sports Alpine Boutique.
- If you're new to the sport, book at lesson, camp or clinic- there's specialty sessions for kids, guys & girls or join a regular session. The Thursday Night Race Series is a hoot!
- Lunch: Kelsey's Bar & Grill (located at the resort plaza) has a full menu to suit the whole family. Open for lunch and dinner.
- Dinner: For your last evening in town, try to grab one of the popular patio tables at Nevados Restaurant and celebrate your week's adventure with a specialty cocktail & patacones. Make sure to check out the many nightlife options in town- live bands, special events and much more on our events calendar!
Bonus feature: Add an exciting 4WD wildlife-watching tour with Fernie Wilderness Adventures- you won't have to exert much energy but the adrenalin will be flowing when you spot Elk, Moose, Black bears and Grizzly bears or other large creatures that roam the mountainsides near Fernie.
Accommodation: Visit our Accommodation pages to find the perfect spot for you and your wallet, including everything from budget accommodation, motels and B&Bs to luxury & family-friendly hotels, expansive condos and spectacular mountain homes located in town, on mountain and inbetween!