The 7,000 acres of pristine wilderness at Island Lake provides countless hiking opportunities.
Whether you are interested in a 30-minute walk or a full day hike, Island Lake has what you need. We have the best maintained and most diverse hiking trails in the valley.
Want to learn about flora and fauna? Guided interpretive hikes are available.Our hiking guides can take you on a short half day interpretive walk or an all day adventure. A guided hike is a great way to discover places you may not experience on your own and learn about the local environment.
- Sundays: July 15th, August 5th & 12th, and September 9th - HEIKO'S TRAIL
22km, elevation gain 4500 m
Rating: Very Difficult
Shuttles depart the lodge at 7am, or meet at the Trailhead at Hartley Lake Road at 8am.
The trail starts 2 km down a cart track, 3 km north-west of Hartley Lake on the Hartley Creek Road, with a rewarding finish at Island Lake Lodge. Highlights: Waterfalls, caves, snowfields, big mountain passes, and the option of making it an overnight trip. A high level of fitness and route finding skills are required and hiring a professional guide is strongly recommended.
2018 Guided Hiking Rates:
- On Property/Interpretive Hike – $45 per person (Minimum 2 people)
- Off Property/Full Day Hike – $99 per person (Minimum 2 people) – ACMG certified hiking guide.
- Overnight Hikes - $300 for 2 people with food. Additional people $50 each.
2018 Sunday Guided Hiking Schedule
Call lodge to book 250-423-3700
- July 1st - Big White Peak (Glacier lilies are out!)
- July 15th - Heiko's Trail
- July 29th - Goldilocks - Grand Opening
- August 5th - Heiko's Trail (Primetime for Alpine Wildflowers)
- August 12th - Heiko's Trail (Primetime for Alpine Wildflowers)
- August 19th - Goldilocks
- August 26th - Big White Peak
- September 9th - Heiko's Trail
- September 16th - Lizard Lake
Make sure to schedule time to enjoy lunch or dinner at the lodge, relax in the Spa or stay for a night and enjoy the most beautiful B&B experience in Fernie.