Celebrating Opera with the Fernie Friends of Opera.
All screenings are on the first Friday of the month at the Arts Station, except March (first Monday).
Admission by donation.
2019 - 2020 Season Screenings:
Friday, September 6: Rigoletto by Verdi
Friday, October 4: Maria Stuarda by Gaetano Donizetti
Friday, November 1: der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss
Friday, December 6: The Enchanted Island; a pastiche, but various composers, devised and written by Jeremy Sams
- Friday, January 3: Parsifal by Wagner
Friday, February 7: Die Tote Stadt by Korngold
Monday, March 9: Faust by Gounod
Friday, April 3: William Tell by Giachino Rossini
- Rossini’s last opera, commissioned by the Paris Opéra with a French libretto, tells the story of Swiss folk hero William Tell, based on Schiller’s 1804 play. In this production, updated to 20th century Europe, the legend of Tell, determined to free his country from Austrian rule, is told through magnificent arias, ensembles and choruses, atmospheric musical evocations of the Swiss landscape, particularly in the famouns overture, and dramatic episodes of great emotional power.
- By the Royal Opera Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Antonio Pappano
- Featuring Gerald Finley, Malin Bystrom, John Osborn, Sofia Fomina
- French with English subtitles, 2015, 3:20
Friday, May 1: Thais by Massenet