Escape the busy resorts and experience the quiet, undisturbed calm of drifting through untouched deep, powder snow.
Ski or snowboard untouched powder in the Rocky Mountain backcountry (off-piste), led by professional guides, drive up to each run by snowcat and share with a small group of friends and family, or ask about single options.
COVID-19 protocols have been put in place at FWA for the coming winter season. Safety has always been a priority and continues to be! Ask directly for details.
FWA Catskiing reopens December 2020 - Book by December 1st for discounted rates!
2020 - 2021 Rates:
- Regular Day Rate: C$575 per person plus tax
- Early & late season special - Save $100! Only $475 per person plus tax from opening day until January 8, and from March 16 to end of the season. Call 250-423-6704 to book!
- BOOK A PRIVATE SMALL GROUP SKI BY DECEMBER 1ST, 2020 for the following discounted rates:
- 6 people: $675 + 5% tax per person
- 8 people: $600 + 5% tax per person
- Rates valid through the 2020-2021 season.
Fernie Wilderness Adventures offer predominately single-day snow-cat ski/board trips. Inquire about multi-day options and rustic backcountry lodging.
Established in 1986 by Kim and Deb Sedrovic, Fernie Wilderness Adventures Snow Cat Skiing is the ultimate winter outdoor experience in a relaxed, casual atmosphere enjoying the snow and great Canadian Rockies. FWA's terrain lies just south-west of Fernie Alpine Resort and is known for its legendary deep snow dumps.
With over 3,000 acres, the terrain ranges from ridges and long fall line runs to spectacular gladed meadows. Elevation is over 7,150 ft / 2170m, providing deep dry powder perfect for skiing and snowboarding.
ABOUT CAT SKIING:
- Cat skiing can be enjoyed by both powder veterans and first-time backcountry skier/snowboarders.
- The terrain is predominately glade tree skiing with occasional tree bands leading into open chutes suitable for advanced intermediate to advanced type skiers or snowboarders.
- A lead guide navigates the line down the mountain and a tail guide—who points out the best lines—ensures that the group descends safely.
- Depending on the group and conditions of the day, you can expect to get 8-10 runs, which is approximately 10,000-12,000 vertical for the day.
- Each of the three cats is fully heated and holds twelve people. Invite eleven friends or family and book the entire state-of-the-art cat.
- If you are tired it is always an option to sit out a run in the cat, upfront with the driver.
Your trip includes:
- A full day of cat skiing
- Use of avalanche transceivers
- A hearty lunch that is served with a view while in the snowcat
- Snacks in the cat
Extra/optional charges include:
- 20-minute transfer to and from the FWA lodge/base area $20
- Fat ski rentals $50 (boots and poles not included, we'll fit your boots to our fat ski bindings)
- Snowboard rentals $50 (boots not included)
- Rustic lodging available from $150 + 13% tax per person per night
Watch the Fernie ski film Ascent to Powder - Tale of a Ski Town