Earth Day is always celebrated in style in Fernie. This year's event will be held at The Arts Station.
FUN ACTIVITIES & CHALLENGES from 3:00pm till 5:00pm at The Arts Station, evening of films at 7pm:
- Kick off your day with the Trash Bash Challenge. Find an outdoor area that you love to visit and take the initiative to clean up - visitors are extra welcome to help keep Fernie pristine! Grab your friends and family and get outside to make a difference. Take a photo and post it to the Earth Day Fernie Facebook page, earthdayfernie with hashtag #TrashBashChallenge. With your post, include how many bags, how many people and how much time you spend cleaning up. Prizes will be awarded for participation!
- Grab your camera or cell phone and become part of the Get Wild Challenge. Get outside, take some deep breaths, see the beauty and take some photos. Share your great photo-ops on earthdayfernie hashtag #GetWild Challenge. Let us know why you love spending time in nature on Earth Day and why visiting Fernie is extra special! Tell us how much time you spent outside and what you did. At the end of the day, visit our Facebook page to discover what others have done! You might get some great ideas – it’s all good clean FUN! Prizes will be awarded for participating in the Get Wild Challenge!
- Gather, Forage &/or Prepare a glimpse of what’s left from your 2017 Harvest. Create a beautiful offering…in a basket, a meal, a glass jar, or otherwise to showcase how you extend the bounty of your harvest into the next growing season. Post pics here of your nutritious and delicious food to show us what can be produced in the beautiful Elk Valley!
- FIX-IT STATIONS
- Cardboard, bubble wrap, mesh, paper, plastic, wood, sticks, felts, glue and so much more! Whatever artful creation your mind can think of we have the supplies to create it! Let your imagination go wild at the Makers Station where you can make art from hidden treasures! Upcycle a plethora of discarded items to design and build your own one-of-a-kind recycled sculpture.
- GREEN AWARDS
- Fernie is home to some pretty amazing people and businesses who go out of their way to help the environment. Now is the time to nominate them and make sure they get the recognition they deserve! Categories include: greenest classroom, greenest family/individual, greenest coffee shop, greenest restaurant, greenest initiative, greenest event and greenest business. SO get thinking, download your Green Awards Nomination Form and get nominating! Deadline for nomination is April 20 with awards presented at Earth Day Fernie at 7pm right before the film screenings.
- FILM SCREENINGS
- Also happening on Earth Day are two enlightening film screenings at 7pm (also at the Arts Station). Bag It and Within Reach are sure to leave you wondering what you can do lead a more eco responsible life and how to encourage others to do their part for the planet. Earth Day 2018 fun is not limited to what is listed above so keep your eyes open for a full listing of activities!
For more info about these or any other Wildsight activities please contact Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (250) 423-3322.